Football for Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Project
KYFA is currently implementing the Football for Water (F4W) (http://footballforwater.nl/), a Public Private Partnership (PPP) project in Kisumu County under the following objectives
- Improve WASH and football infrastructure in schools while using sports as a means of promoting good hygiene practices
- Institutionalize sustainable mechanisms for meeting maintenance costs of the WASH and football investments through innovative enterprises.
- Builds capacity of pupils, teachers and parents for sustaining WASH facilities within the schools and the neighboring communities.
KYFA, KNVB and UNICEF work at the Kisumu county level with the equivalent line ministries and county government departments to strengthen systems to provide sustainable and equitable water and sanitation services to selected public primary schools and communities. The aim of WASH in Schools programme is twofold:
- to develop a scalable model consisting of appropriate and cost-effective WASH facilities and an effective hygiene behavior change methodology;
- to strengthen the enabling environment with regard to policy guidance, budget allocation, standards and monitoring in order to accelerate access to WASH in schools.
Initial results indicate improved WASH knowledge, attitudes and behavior amongst pupils. There is also improved school attendance for teenage girls as a result of intense menstrual hygiene education and changing rooms with showers constructed under the project.